As part of any manager or executive’s communication-skills toolbox should be the ability to communicate with the media. The range can include the local press and radio to national broadcasting outlets and they all need experienced spokespeople to interview. This course equips personnel with the basic skills to handle media interviews and to understand the workings of journalists. It focuses on print and radio interviews.
Who is it for?
This course is aimed at all personnel who have to engage with the media including local radio.
- Thorough understanding of the media machine
- Skills to turn potentially damaging questions into positive answers
- Creating messages for the media
- The myth of ‘Off-the-record’
- Understanding the ground rules
- Understanding what journalists want
- Ability to deal effectively with a hostile media situation
- Communication skills for the media
- Building your message house
- Controlling your message
- What is a story?
- Developing ‘push-button’ responses
- Basic broadcasting skills
- The media agenda
- Microphone techniques
- Identifying issues
- Practical interviews
Delegates will have the opportunity to partake in various interview scenarios in print and on radio to practice their messaging and communication skills. These will be audio-recorded and reviewed by the trainers.